The managing editor is the editorial driver of The ASEAN Post, overseeing all content development, including original news articles, trend reports, surveys, data-driven content, and videos. The publication delivers valuable original content to an audience of busy senior executives. The managing editor is responsible for pushing through product improvements based on planned upgrades and ongoing market feedback. We expect the managing editor to be engaged with the business side of the publication and an enthusiastic source of ideas and suggestions for growing the title’s reach and profitability.
About the Role
- Managing The ASEAN Post Content Team and their deliverables in a timely and efficient order.
- Ensuring that all content is in line with The ASEAN Post’s vision and mission as well as brand values,
- Creating extra content to aid the team and when required to ensure The ASEAN Post is producing sufficient content to meet its traffic goal.
- Setting weekly editorial direction for The ASEAN Post platform which is to be presented to the Management Team on a weekly basis.
- Identifying key events, and trends to produce analysis and analytics on ASEAN affairs relating to The ASEAN Post’s verticals.
- Responsible for final approval of all content published on The ASEAN Post platform and related distribution assets (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and/or necessary platforms)
- Ensuring there are detailed monthly progress reports relating to the developments and growth of The ASEAN Post platform to be presented to the Management Team.
- Representation of The Asean Post at important junctures such as industry events, pitch meetings and any other related or necessary functions.
- Ultimately responsible to ensure the attrition rate is caped below 5% per year.
- Coordinate editorial with marketing activities and sales.
- Undertake ad-hoc request as per the directive of the Management Team and other tasks deemed relevant to the nature of the business.
- Hire, manage and motivate staff, ensure they are performing at a high standard, support training where necessary.
- At least 7 years of business reporting and editing experience, including experience working on a daily or wire publication. Data journalism experience is a strong plus.
- Expertise in ASEAN regional economics, politics and/or diplomatic fields.
- Demonstrated ability to write or produce content for a specific niche audience. Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication.
- Proven track record of news and team leadership.
- Track record of continuous improvement and initiative and a creative approach to your work.
- Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
- Experience managing a staff of reporters and helping them improve and develop.
- Strong writing and communication skills and demonstrable time management.
- A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
Start Date of Roles: July 2022 to January 2023